Monday, June 22, 2015

Leaving On A Jet Plane

All my bags are packed and I'm ready to go...this must be the all time number one travel song, at least for those of us who sang it in the 60's. I didn't realize until I watched a music documentary recently that this song has special significance for the young men leaving to fight in Vietnam. At the time, all I knew is that we sang it whenever we(my best friend and I)had a public forum-be it open mike at a coffee house each week or any other little function we played in. By little, I mean little; many times it was a high school talent show or evening providing "entertainment" at the opening of a new library. Aletha always was a much better singer than I was, she not only played guitar but also banjo. We once made a tape recording of it and when we listened to it decades later, just giggled and shook our heads, that I was that bad. Ok, so this morning we were supposed to get up at 5:30, but you know how it goes when you're traveling-you toss and turn all night. So hubby got up and I thought he was getting up; I couldn't understands my alarm didn't go off. I turned on the lights and jumped up. I got dressed quickly and even started putting on my makeup. It was about 30 minutes later that I checked my phone and it was only 5:00 a.m.  No wonder hubby crawled back into bed. Silly me! I will say that the last three days have been tiring-two nights in hotels where our sleep was disturbed. The first one being from young people who were loud in the hall ways til 4:00 a.m. I've learned that as beautiful as grand old hotels can be, there isn't any insulation from noise. Then Sunday night in Belfast, the hotel had wonderful insulation and one of the most comfy beds ever; I was in a deep sleep when the fire alarm went off day at 2:00. You would not believe how disoriented and panicked I was, even though just that morning hubby and I had discussed this scenario. There was no fire or evacuation, but it took me ha good hour to get back to sleep. Then you add in a full day of driving yesterday and I'm pretty tire today. It's hard to believe that we  leave here at 9:50 a.m. and arrive in Denver at 4:45 p.m. I'm glad I brought jet lag homeopathic pills.
We've had an incredible adventure, but I'm so ready to be home. Ireland I've fallen in love with your land and your people.
If the Gaeluc book we got for the grands wasn't packed, I'd find out how to say goodbye. All I know is that I'm going to sleep in the plane!
Later-
Noreen

6 comments:

  1. You will be returning with lots of great memories. It sounds like it was a great trip, aside from the hotel discomforts. Mom had a few tough nights in her hotel too with a baby who cried off and on most of three nights.

    Safe travels home.

    Woos - Ciara and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a wonderful trip (even if you didn't get as much good sleep as you wished). Wishing you safe travels back home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that you've had such a wonderful time!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just getting back to blogging here. I am so so glad you had a good time in spite of so little sleep and a fire alarm. I know you will be glad to get home. I am always glad to be home after vacation, too. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful adventure you have had, Noreen, looking back over the photos you have posted, wishing you a very happy belated anniversary!May you have many more years of continued happiness!
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you did sleep on the plane and that you are able to recover from the jet lag/travel experience quickly! Thanks for taking us along! Many blessings, Cindy xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14