Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Kilkenny Castle revisited

Dia duit. This means Hello in Gaelic. Here are sights  we saw when we toured Kilkenny Castle. Oh, what a wonderful place to see. The city now owns it and has been restoring it for many years. There are original oil paintings throughout, some from the Masters. WE couldn't take any photos inside, but I did buy a book on the castle.

The River Nore, which the Castle overlooks.

We had such a fun time and now understand where our love for antiques and period pieces come from; we have never been in a castle in Ireland before, but we do love the decor.
After we finished, we got the car and headed down to Waterford.  When we were married, hubby's grandmother gave us a Waterford Decanter which was destroyed in the Loma Prieta earthquake in '89.  I planned on seeing just how much a decanter would go for-lol-not in our budget.  We went on a wonderful tour; we once went on a tour of another glass blowing factory in West Virginia and it couldn't hold a candle to Waterford. It was so interesting; we even bought a Christmas ornament.
We returned  to Kilkenny and went walking and finally out to a Pub, for some Pub Grub as they say here.  All in all, I think we walked about 5-6 mls today.
Tomorrow we head to Cork where we will stay for three days.  I've decided that we need to scale back on the number of places to see each day; we want to really enjoy ourselves and not burn out".
It still amazes us that there are so many castles in Ireland and also in other countries in Europe.  I will say that by the end of the trip, we didn't need to see any others.  Hope you've enjoyed seeing Kilkenny with us.
Noreen

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful castle. And you are learning a new language, well kinda, OK a few words.

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noreen, Sounds like a busy tiring day. You look great in your picture. Hope you and your hubby have much more fun . Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dia duit to you too:) When our Mom was a little girl, her family had a duplex home and rented the lower unit to a family from Cork - a big family of McCarthy's:) We are so happy to see you enjoying your trip so much. Yes, that Waterford is beautiful and pricey - we have a few small pieces here.

    Happy weekend.

    Woos - Ciara and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  4. How grand to visit a castle, and I notice you mention the Loma Prieta earthquake. We survived it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so hard not to try to cram so much into a trip, isn't it? Especially when it's a place that you won't be able to visit as often as you'd like. I'm so glad that you're enjoying your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect day. How awesome to be seeing such lovely places. Continue to have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My Noreen, I didn't realize you were blogging while on your trip. I just read all of your posts! Love them! It sounds like you are enjoying a wonderful trip with lots of historic information to take in. Glad you were able to find a few descendants, that must have been worth the trip all by itself! Enjoy, Enjoy the days ahead! Many blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks SO neat! My husband and I love antiques and primitive things, too, though we have downsized a LOT of our stuff on our minimizing journey. These days, we just enjoy going into antique malls and stores and looking at them. I'm so thankful you had a wonderful time on your Ireland trip and hope you get to go back someday! Praying for you every day, sweet friend, and sending hugs your way! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14